Monday, January 18, 2016

Growing up with doubts

こんにちは!

Hello, again, from Japan! Weeks are starting to fly by! I love it! Is it always fun? No, not at all. But, I'm enjoying it more and more. Although I've learned a lot of Japanese over the past 6 months, the biggest change in my life has been my strengthened testimony of God. Some people seem to believe since they were born, and to never really doubt. I wish I could say that's been me, but that's just not the case. Growing up, I doubted. I grew up in an incredible family that taught me the teachings of Jesus from the day I was born. Despite this, I doubted. A lot.

Luckily for me, however, God is patient. He patiently waits for us to turn to Him. I think I always believed, but something was always holding me back. After seemingly millions of promptings from my family, friends, and the Spirit, I slowly started to recognize the subtle promptings from the Holy Ghost and the magnificence of God. It's an eternity-long pursuit, but at this point in my life, I can promise you all that God exists. The feelings we feel from Him are not made up (Trust me, I thought people around me were making things up for quite some time). 

This is all a bit scattered, but God is there and is patiently waiting for all of us to turn to Him. Does He expect perfection? Of course not. Just for us to get back up every time we fall. 

Notes on the Week
  • The Music Night!!!!: This past Saturday the missionaries and branch put on a music night! My district leader gave us the idea a few weeks ago, and we got it rolling about two weeks ago. The night consisted of a 30 minute piano concert. I played a "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Chopsticks" song (Thanks Miss Tomi), Elder Tschirki and I played a "Heart and Souls" arrangement that ended up with both of us playing upside down (Thanks Jon Schmidt), the other missionaries played a song each, and one of the members form the congregation performed two songs. We then had a "Name that Tune" game, followed by a 20 minute performance of our branch president and his rock band!!! They sang "Let it Be" and a few other songs. We then attempted to have everyone sing a Japanese song in English (The Only Flower in the world). Kind of worked. The night concluded with an "I'm a Mormon" message of a Japanese lady who has used music to help her get through hard times. Total, about 26 people came, including a few investigators, potential investigators, and recent converts. It was honestly a blast. 
  • Service with Tomita Kyodai!!!. This past Thursday we got to help out a member of the congregation with his green houses. He owns 5 green houses and sells flowers. The four of us in the apartment biked an hour down there and then helped clean up the area (had to move tons of wood and steam pipes). It was a blast.
Video and Invitation for the Week
The video for this week is simple and short. The voice is from one of the leaders of our church. The invitation is simple and short as well! Watch it, and then write down 3 of the day to day joys you have in life.


Pictures for the Week.
1. The Music Night! The leader of our congregation (branch president) and his band!!


2. Missionaries sometimes get a bit bored in the apartment...we find ways to have fun. The stud on the left is my district leader, Elder Horstmeier. He's incredible.



I love you all!!

Elder Kevin Cash Colton
Japan Fukuoka Mission

ケビン C. コルトン 長老
日本福岡伝道部

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to find your blog online tonight. My son is preparing for his mission and I'm not thrilled. But, I can hope he will be allowed to communicate as you are doing. I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to find your blog online tonight. My son is preparing for his mission and I'm not thrilled. But, I can hope he will be allowed to communicate as you are doing. I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete