Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Transfers!!

Ni Hao!

Today (Tuesday) is transfer calls (hence I P-day is today and not yesterday)! Both my companion and one of the other companions in our apartment are heading home to America. Their short two years has come to an end. My trainer (First companion) is also going home in a few days. These two years go fast!

Anyways, this week was incredible!!! Probably the most culture (Some Japanese, some Chinese, and some Indian). I've experienced in awhile. I'll do my best to explain why the week rocked so much.

Notes on the Week
  • The Miracle Lesson: While experiencing the culture here is incredible, we are here to help bring lives unto Christ. Thus, the highlight of the week was a lesson with Muraishi San. I've mentioned him before, but he is a 65 year old Nihonjin who we met on the street a few months ago. We have met with him a few times a week for the past few weeks, and he is working towards baptism in a few weeks. This past week we taught him the Word of Wisdom (Seehttps://www.lds.org/topics/word-of-wisdom?lang=eng for an explanation). Anyways, he has decided to give up smoking for two weeks! That was the goal our member joint set for him. That in it of itself is a miracle for me. That is how this gospel works. One step at a time, we follow Christ.
  • The Mochi Making Party. This past Saturday we had a mochi tsuki taikai, pretty much a Mochi (condensed rice) making party. The simple steps are, 1) make rice, 2) put it in a stone giant bowl, 3) get a giant wooden hammer and smash it all together, 4) break it off into smaller pieces. See pictures below. Two of these Chinese guys we met a few weeks ago came to it. I got to practice my Chinese and realize how much I forgot (I studied it in high school and college).
  • Culture: So, Japan is very Japanese. The country has foreign influences, but keeps its own culture and identity alive. Thus, my entire experience so far has been Japanese culture (obviously). This week's non-Japanese culture activities including going to an Indian restaurant and loving the music (It was pretty cool to see Indians speaking fluent Japanese), and talking with some Chinese friends we made. Cultures rock.

Video and Invitation for the Week
For those of you who watch these videos each week, you have probably realize that I'm a fan of the inspiration story ones. This week is a pretty cool story of a young girl who overcomes some severe challenges and serves others. My invitation for this week is: 1) watch it, 2) pick one thing you can do today to serve someone, and 3) actually do it. よろしくお願いします。


Pictures for the Week.
1。Making mochi :)


2. The weather his past week was crazy!!! It got freezing and snowed for a day straight (not normal here). We had to stay warm somehow. #thosewhitehelmetsdoough



3. 20 is the "coming of age" age here in Japan. Once a year, they have a holiday that is to celebrate everyone who turned 20 in the year. Some of the members of the branch turned 20 this year and stopped by church to show off their Seijinshiki formal wear.



I love you all!!!

Elder Kevin Cash Colton
Japan Fukuoka Mission

ケビン C. コルトン 長老
日本福岡伝道部

No comments:

Post a Comment