Monday, February 1, 2016

New companion, Same area

Konnichi wa!

Transfer calls came and...(pause for dramatic effect), I'm staying in Shimonoseki with Tschirki Choro! He and I have now been together every day since day 1 of my mission, July 22, 2015. We were in the same MTC zone and have been in the same apartment since I got to Japan. He's pretty incredible.

My new companion and district leader is Elder Mismash from Sandy, Utah. He's a stud with super good Japanese. I'm excited to work with  and learn from him. I'll be very happy if my Japanese is anywhere near his at the end of my mission.

Notes on the Week
The Book of Mormon Coming to Life: As a Christian, I believe in and cherish the Bible and it's teachings. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I also believe and cherish the Book of Mormon and it's teachings (see https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-11-018-a-book-of-mormon-story?lang=eng for sweet video introduction of the Book of Mormon). Anyways, one of the stories in the Book of Mormon is of a missionary named Aaron in the ancient America's (around 90 B.C.) who introduces the idea of God to a king that really has no concept of God. Here are some of the excerpts from the story:

And the king said: Is God that Great Spirit that brought our fathers out of the land of Jerusalem? And Aaron said unto him: Yea, he is that Great Spirit, and he created all things both in heaven and in earth" (Alma 22:9-10).

Well, I had a very similar experience last night. Mismash Choro and I were streeting and starting talking to a Nihonjin guy around 30 years old. He recognized us as missionaries and started telling us that he believed in some sort of "big power" that has protected his for his entire life. He wasn't quite sure what it was, but knew this power was there. Well, Mismash Choro and I explained to him the basics of God and how this great power is God! The man was intrigued and asked a few more questions. While he didn't want to meet again, it was pretty cool to literally use the same strategy that Aaron used 2000 years ago.

How We Get Around: My incredible sister sent me a bunch of questions a few weeks ago that I'll try to answer over the next two years. They should make my emails a bit more interesting. The question was: "How do you get around?" Biking, biking, biking. And some trains. We bike everywhere. Typically everything in our area is no more than 30 minutes by bike. Rain or shine, we bike. I love it actually. We stand out because we 1) are taller than everyone we see, 2) have bigger bikes than everyone we see, 3) are foreigners, and 4) wear these matching white helmets. No one in Japan wears helmets except for kids. When we have trainings (typically a few times a month), we take the train places. 

The MTC Scripture Chase:
This story is from the MTC, but is a pretty cool experience I had about the power of prayer. I'll probably share some of these stories of the next few weeks. Prayer is so real. 

About six weeks into the MTC, I lost my scriptures. Irresponsible, I know. I searched for about a week and a half with no luck. I prayed and prayed, but couldn't find them anywhere. Nine days later while I was saying my nightly prayer, I asked Heavenly Father that if it was His will, to help me find them. I got a distinct impression that said, "If you pray, you will find them tomorrow." I wrote that phrase down in my daily planner before I went to bed.

Well, the next night before class, these two sister missionaries came into my classroom with my scriptures! Their teacher had found them after one our Japanese Skype lessons, took them back to her classroom, and then forgot about them. Personal revelation is real. God answers prayers.

Video and Invitation for the Week
The video for this week will be the link I shared above about the Book of Mormon. Whether you fall in the categories of believing the Book of Mormon is the word of God, believing it is all made up, or having no idea what it's about, I invite you all to watch it!


Pictures for the Week.
1。My new companion and I!



2. Food!



Love you all!

Elder Kevin Cash Colton
Japan Fukuoka Mission

ケビン C. コルトン 長老
日本福岡伝道部

No comments:

Post a Comment