Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Saijou!!

Note from the editor, Kevin's mom ... So apparently Elder Colton tried to send an email last week but had technical difficulties.  So here is last week's email!  Lucky us, we get two in one week!


Hello, again,

Saijou rocks! Very, very different from my first area, but I love it. My first area was a very conservative, old city with a strong congregation that had been around for 30 or so years. Saijo, on the other hand, is one of the fastest growing cities in Japan with foreigners everywhere! I've seen more non-Japanese people in the past week in Saijou than I had my first 6 months in Shimonoseki. The branch (congregation) here is also very new. It was formed about two years ago as a group and just recently became a branch. Almost all the members have been baptized within the past two years, so everything is still new to most the members.

The missionaries here are an older couple (he was a stake president before the mission), my companion and I, and four rockstar sister missionaries. We are always busy here, but I love it!

Notes/Stories from the Week
  • Church in English!: Like I said, this is a diverse area with tons of foreigners, so many of the church members are also foreigners. Our main meeting is in Japanese, but one of the missionaries translates it into English for 5 or so of the members. Sunday School has both an English and Japanese class. I sat in on the English class, with consisted of a recent Chinese convert, two recent Philippine converts, and some Philippine investigators. 
  • The One and Only Sherrill Choro: My new companion is one of a kind. Long story short, he is a recent convert of two years (comes from a very Catholic family) that was kicked out of his house when he started taking lessons from the missionaries at age 18. He lived with a friend for some time before living on his own while earning money for the mission. He left out for his mission this past October and has been working miracles every since. Despite our struggle with Japanese everyday, we have a blast together in our two man apartment. He's a stud.
  • Walking herself into the baptismal font (continuation): One of the hardest parts of missionary work is leaving behind the friends you make. I got to have one last lesson with Ishizawa San (see pictures below) this past Wednesday. She is simply incredible. She can't help smiling whenever the word baptism comes up!
Video and Invitation for the Week
The video for this week is a bit on the cheesy side, but has a good message. It's a short video about simply loving and not judging. As always, please watch and share with a friend!


Pictures for the Week.
-Last lunch for the Fukatani family. One of the YSA members from the ward came along. She'll be going to Tokyo soon for her mission.



-Pictures from district P-day! We went bowling and had a blast. The hat is the lovely Mismash Choro's. Not my style, but he made me wear it :)





-Ishizawa San!


-My last Eikaiwa class in Shimonoseki :(


-My new companion!!


Elder Kevin Cash Colton
Japan Fukuoka Mission

ケビン C. コルトン 長老
日本福岡伝道部

No comments:

Post a Comment