Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Sakura!

こんにちは!!

Living in a foreign country is quite the experience. I highly recommend it for anyone who has the chance haha you have crazy experiences everyday where you make a fool out of yourself in Japanese. As a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I truly believe that God helps us learn the language so that we can help His children come back unto Him, but certainly doesn't mean He doesn't make it easy for us. That being said, the fact that I can have conversations with Japanese people and lead lessons with investigators all in Japanese is quite the miracle to me. For those who don't know me well, I grew up with quite the stutter that made talking to strangers and public speaking my nightmare. Well, talking to strangers and public speaking is just about all I do as a missionary. And mostly in Japanese. While my Japanese is still rough and my speech isn't fluent, the only explanation of why I can do any of this is that we have a loving Father in Heaven who loves and wants to help us. No matter what struggle you have, if you turn to Him, He will help your weaknesses turn into strengths. That, I can promise you.

Anyways, awesome week!

Notes/Stories from the Week
  • General Conference!!: I briefly mentioned his last week, but every six months my church holds a worldwide conference where the leaders of Christ's church share with us various talks on how we can be more Christlike. As a missionary it is like Christmas!! As Christ's living prophets and apostles talk to us, you can help but feel Christ's love for all of us. See the invite below for one of my favorite talks!
  • Funny Japanese moments: like I said above, living in a foreign country is quite the experience, especially as a Mormon missionary where you try to talk to everyone. Yesterday we met a guy that asked us if we were the church that believed in not giving blood.  The problem was that I didn't know what he said, but just saw him point to his arm and do a needle injection motion. My thinking was he was asking about steroids or some illegal drugs, so I confidently said, "yeah! That's us!" Soon after, we realized from the context that he was talking about something else, so we had to attempt to explain...
  • Praying with strangers: As a Christian, I am a strong believer in prayer. God has answered many of my prayers in my life, so I often try to introduce prayers to those we meet, often on the street. Sometimes it goes great and people love the concept and pray with us right there. Other times people just stare at us like we just told them the earth is actually flat. Fun times.
  • Food in Japan!!: The food here rocks. My favorite restaurant, however, is actually Indian! All around Japan they have Indo-Curry restaurants that are delicious! On Saturday for the hour lunch my companion and I had between sessions of conference, we ran to one, ate quickly, and made it back in time for the next session to start.

Video and Invitation for the Week
Like I've been saying, last week was General Conference in the states and it was this week in Japan (translating and time zone delays). It rocked! I'd like to share two talks from it that I ask you all to please at least skim through.

The first is called "Refuge from the Storm" and talks about the role we can all play in helping refugees in a world of ever increasing chaos. Please look through it and then figure out what you can do in your community to help. Please contact my mother, Jeri Colton, if you need some place to start. She has recently gotten involved in humanitarian work in India and loves to share her new found passion. Here is the talk: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/04/refuge-from-the-storm?lang=eng

The second talk is called "He Will Place You on His Shoulders and Carry You Home" and is a powerful, moving talk describing the help and guidance Jesus Christ can and wants to play in your life. My invitation for this is to watch it (if you haven't already) and send it to a friend, perhaps with a specific Section highlighted.


Pictures for the Week.
1。Sakura (cherry blossoms), My companion, and a member of the branch (Nomura Shimai)!









Elder Kevin Cash Colton
Japan Fukuoka Mission

ケビン C. コルトン 長老
日本福岡伝道部

No comments:

Post a Comment