Sunday, May 8, 2016

Haroooo!!!

こんにちは!!

Life is interesting, and peoples' varying viewpoint on life is even more interesting. As missionaries, we often walk up to random strangers and try to talk about rather deep topics like "the purpose of this life" or "life after death." It is always fascinating to hear different responses. Surprisingly, most people we talk to really haven't thought too much about it before. The one continuous theme between everyone though is simply that they want to enjoy life. I am beyond grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ that has given me reason and motivation to enjoy life. For those who are questioning the purpose of life or want more of a purpose, I recommend watching this video!

Notes/Stories from the Week
  • Piano, piano, piano: I'd like to give a quick shout out to the one and only "Miss Tomi." She was my piano teacher from when I was 6 until I left for college. She probably knows the Colton family better than just about anyone else in the world. For over 12 years, she patiently put up with me week after week after week, after week. While friends, teachers, and coaches came and went, Miss Tomi was always there. We even had over the phone lessons every summer while I was at my grandparents lake house! Because of her, piano has become my outlet for everything in life. In my college dorm, my keyboard was directly next to my desk. Currently, I get to be the accompanist every week in church, as well as accompany other missionary meetings and performances. While on the mission, I can't walk by a piano without playing something. A love of piano is one of the deepest parts of who I am. How someone can pass their passion of piano onto someone else makes no sense, yet somehow Tomi Watkins did it for me. Except for probably my faith, family, and friends, it brings me more happiness and joy than anything else. Kinda dorky, but that's just who I am. Thanks, Miss Tomi. I owe ya one!
  • Kumamoto Earthquake update: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is one of the leading humanitarian groups in the world. While the church has massive projects to help those around the world, perhaps the most remarkable humanitarian aid comes from the local effort given by members during time of need. As you all know, recently in Kumamoto, Japan there was a severe earthquake that left thousands devastated. I do not know too much of the details, but currently the Kumamoto LDS church building is a shelter for over 30 people and is providing basic necessities to many, many more. Thousands of members around Japan have been sending down food, water, and other necessities to help those in need. See https://www.lds.org/topics/humanitarian-service/helping-hands?lang=eng for more information.

Video and Invitation for the Week
Last week the Father topic probably seemed a bit random, but next week is Mother's Day, so this week's theme is mothers! First off, I gotta thank a special person in my life named Jeri Colton. For those who don't know her, she kinda rocks. I'm a fan. Probably the most selfless person I know. Her entire life is dedicated to helping others, including her family, friends, local struggling church members, as well as thousands of Indian orphans in desperate need of help. Last week I said the world needs more fathers like Steve Colton. Well, the same goes true with more mothers, and simply people, like Jeri Colton. Thanks, Mom. 

The invitation for this week is similar to last, but with mothers! Mormon or not, please visit the site below, find a video you find fitting for your mother (or a motherly figure in your life), and send it to her along with a thank you note! It can be a week early Mother's Day present!


Pictures for the Week.
1. From a few weeks ago, but a district Pday spent at the mall.
2. My zone leader Davies Choro. For you Mormons, think Plan of Salvation when you look at the shirt.
3. English class! We had the students do 1 minute "speed dating" where they had to shake hands and take a selfie all in a minute. Tons of fun!
4. The packed train. 
5. This past week we had a zone conference in Hiroshima. The other pictures are with my old companion (Elder Sherrill) as well as Elder Barker, a friend from the MTC











Elder Kevin Cash Colton
Japan Fukuoka Mission

ケビン C. コルトン 長老
日本福岡伝道部

No comments:

Post a Comment