Sunday, May 8, 2016

Hello Goodbye

こんにちは!!

Well, I am now entirely immersed in Japanese culture and I love it! Except for seldom phone calls, I can count on one hand the number of English sentences I say each day. I feel bad for my stud of a Japanese companion because he has to put up with my Japanese all day, but hopefully by the end of these two years I'll feel comfortable in this language they call Japanese!

But yeah, overall fantastic week.

Notes/Stories from the Week
  • Hello Goodbye: Missionary life is full of change! Since July 22, 2015, I have had 6 different companions who I have spend 24/7 with during our companionship time. Of that time in Japan, I have had 6 companions in 5 transfers. Normally, having a different companion every transfer means it is a problem missionary who struggles with their companions...I guess I'm a problem missionary! Anyway, living with Elder Sherrill was some of the best 6 weeks of my life. He is honestly one of the most Christ-like and all around best people I've met in my entire life. It's always fun to make new friends that you know you'll be friends with for life.
  • Hello: My new companion is Elder Hirose from Ishikawa, Japan. He is awesome and wayyyy smart. Before the mission he spent two years at Toyko Daigaku (best college in Japan) studying Applied Chemistry. His English is actually way good as well, but we always speak in Japanese.
  • Leading in Japanese, English, and Chinese: My current district has 5 Japanese missionaries, a Taiwanese missionary, and one other American missionary. Let's just say that it makes communication fun :) It's pretty incredible how people with dramatically different backgrounds and language abilities can all be united with a love and testimony of God and Jesus Christ. If only the rest of the world could be united by something as unyielding as the love of God. As far as leadership style, this is how we are instructed to lead, "...only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; by kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile-Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved" (D&C 121:41-43).
  • Fun small parts of the week:
             Wednesday- The branch put on a going away party for the three leaving missionaries. See pictures!
             Sunday- Translating at church from Japanese to English to a Philippine member who speaks very broken English

Video and Invitation for the Week
Fathers' Day isn't for a while, but the thought for this week is about fathers! To all the fathers our there. Thanks! To my own father, thanks, a lot, as in a whole heck of a lot :) This world is in dire need of good, solid fathers like Steve Colton. Everyone deserves the opportunity to grow up in a stable home. The world is obviously far from that, but it is definitely a goal worth shooting for.

 Below are two links: the first is to a site with a bunch of fatherhood videos, and the second is a talk from this past conference. If you love your father (gotcha!), please 1) visit the video site, 2) pick a video that you think your father would enjoy, 3) send the video to him as long as a simple thank you note! If you for some reason don't have that opportunity, please send the video and a thank you note to someone you know and respect who is a father!



Pictures for the Week
All are pictures from going away parties of the old missionaries! Well, except for the one where the missionary next to me is Japanese. That's my new stud of a companion.





Love you all!!

Elder Kevin Cash Colton
Japan Fukuoka Mission

ケビン C. コルトン 長老
日本福岡伝道部

No comments:

Post a Comment