Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Transfers and Miracles

こんにちは!!

Well, another transfer has come and gone and I am (drum roll..............) staying in Kumamoto with Elder Serville!!! We have been seeing toons of miracles this past week so are way excited. 

Also, the zone is getting even bigger! Because of the earthquake the sister missionaries in my ward and another ward left, but they are coming back this transfer. One of the two coming to my ward is Sister Luczak from the MTC!!! Elder Johnson from my MTC district is also coming into the zone! So we will know have me, Elder Rowe, Elder Johnson, and Sister Luczak all in the same zone! You see pictures of us all in the coming week. When I first got here, we had 16 missionaries in the zone, then it became 26, and this transfer we will get up to about 32! Elder Bunker and I (he's the other zone leader) are way pumped.

Between the miracles we've been seeing, giving it our all everyday, a hard working companion, and the up and coming zone, this is one of, if not the, best times on the mission so far. It is certainly the busiest, but it rocks!

Notes/Stories from the Week 
  • Junkai Miracles
    • For some reason, some of the best days as missionaries is going on companions exchanges. This past week Elder Gas came down and taught me how to do missionary work! He is a 6'3" or so stud from Utah who is one of the most genki, personable, fun people I know. 
    • Irie San- The highlight was teaching a lesson to Irie San. He is a 28 year old chef who Elder Serville and I found on the street about two weeks ago. He was interested from the start and asked us if we could meet him again at a near by restaurant. After much hesitation, we said we could probably make time...just kidding, we were ecstatic! Anyways, on Junkai we met at a Joyful and became friends from the start. While eating some delicious cheesecake we talked about our relationship with God and Christ, and how what role baptism plays in that.
      • After asking him how he felt about baptism, he said he wants it if it is true. We set a date with him for November and have a lesson with him today. He is truly one of the most kind, loving people I know. We showed him how to download the Gospel Library app and he watches the Mormon messages everyday. Pray for him!
    • Taichi- another miracle from the day with Elder Gas was meeting Taichi. He is a suteki (look that up :) ) 19 year old who clicked with Elder Gas from the start. Yesterday, Elder Serville and I went to the appointment we made with him (it just so happened to be same restaurant as the one we went with Irie. We even sat in the same seats). The lesson went similarly and he wants to be baptized too! More to follow on both of them!
Miracle/"Tendy Mercy" for the Week
Wow. Miracles are everywhere. Even with out the miracles, my faith in Jesus Christ is the strongest it has every been. To be honest, I guess that isn't saying all that much because my faith in high school and college often struggled. I come from about a strongly rooted in the Gospel family as it gets, yet I often struggled with a basic belief in God growing up. That was a big motivation for serving a mission, to figure out for myself what this was all about.

Well, coming out here was the best gamble I've ever made! Sure, I still sometimes frustrated and stressed out over the small things that don't matter, but I am improving (at least I think I am). I was always taught to keep the "eternal picture" in mind, but when you don't believe in eternity, thinking about the eternal picture doesn't help too much.

Long story short, when we truly look at life and our everyday challenges through this "eternal perspective" of a glorious plan for us to grow and become more like our Heavenly Father, the small things really don't matter. Am I at that point? No, of course not, but like I said last week, all we have to do is get up when we fall, determined to finished the race.

Video and Invitation for the Week
Conference was this past Week!!!! Too bad I still haven't seen it :( We will see it this weekend. For those who don't know, General Conference is a bi-annual global conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of LAtter-day Saints. Like the sermons of Paul of the New Testament and Isaiah in the Old Testament (expect his are a bit harder to understand), we receive modern counsel through living prophets and apostles on how to follow Jesus Christ. It's like Christmas, but eternal presents of knowledge and counsel rather than toys :)

Anyways, please check out these summaries of the talks and look around for one you like!


Pictures for the Week.
-1: The MTC district (over a year ago)



-2: The MTC district in the Fukuoka mission, the four on the left will all be in my zone! Elder Johnson, me, Elder Rowe, and Sister Luczak!


3-4: rain




5: Elder Anderson and Taishi Kyodai (Junkai this past week)




Video: Eikaiwa talent show performances
video




Elder Kevin Cash Colton
Japan Fukuoka Mission

ケビン C. コルトン 長老
日本福岡伝道部

No comments:

Post a Comment