Monday, June 19, 2017

ラクロス!!! (That means lacrosse in Japanese)

こんにちは!


I have officially completed one of my goals I set when I can to Japan. I played lacrosse in Japan! This past Tuesday while biking to an appointment we saw some Japanese guys passing a lacrosse ball at a park. I have been in Japan for over a year now and have never seen that before! My companion was a bit surprised as I abruptly slammed on my brakes and headed over to them. With no reservation (lacrosse players are chill in Japan as well) then let me pass with them for a few minutes. It turns out they play on a college team, APU, close by. We actually have a few friends at the college and have been there a few times. Anyways, they said I'm free to join them in practice anytime.

Fast forward to Saturday morning and I'm at their practice! I got permission from my mission president to go but not to pad up and play. Nevertheless, it was awesome! The team is pretty small, about 20 players, but I was surprisingly impressed with them! After practice we stayed and shot with them for some time and shared a few tips. We then went out to eat with them and had a chance to introduce a bit more who we are as missionaries and what message we share. We got a few phone numbers and are going back in two weeks to try to set up some lessons. It was pretty cool to see such a unique sport played so similar across two very different cultures.

Notes/Stories from the Week
-As always, lots of great parts of the week:

1) We have a German in the apartment now! Elder Nishizawa transferred out and Elder Ricardi transferred it. He is from Germany and fluent in German, English, and Spanish. Quite the humble stud. He is an incredible soccer player who loves to workout, so my asa undo (morning workouts) are about to get a bit more intense. Today we went on a 25 minute run. He is the one with way suteki longer, hair in the picture below.

2) Our strongest investigators right now are still Ken from Ghana and Lex from Fiji. Both incredible people trying to find spiritual truth in this life. Ken has a Christian background and gives pretty incredible prayers full of praise for God and all He has done for him.

3) Last night we had a lesson with the Japanese husband of a Philippine member. He is a rather "tough" Japanese man who, like most Japanese people, believes religion is all man-made. He let us share a short message with him and will one day get there! It is fascinating how the typically Japanese person raised to believe in no sense of a higher being. 

Miracle/"Tendy Mercy" for the Week
Like most Christians, we believe we can have a relationship with God. That relationship is largely based on prayer and scripture study. We talk to God through prayer, and He talks to us through a variety of means, including scriptures as well as in our mind and our heart. One of the blessings of baptism by proper authority is that we receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, which allows the literal constant companion of the Holy Ghost and guidance from a perfect Father in Heaven. This past week I had a few of those experience to where God was literally answering my prayers. One of these experience was as I was stressing a bit about what to do for college after the mission. Sure enough, God called my fears and told me through "exactly what I need to know through my thought and heart. Another answer came through my mission president, one of my past church leaders (Bishop Klomp), a member of the church here, and someone else all sharing with me Proverbs 3:5-6 over the course of a week. Either 1) I'm crazy, or 2) God is real. I'd like to think the second one :)

Video and Invitation for the Week
This is one of the videos we share with those with a Non-Christian background we meet with to introduce the idea of God. I love it!


Pictures for the Week.
1: The Oita church (not sure if I've sent this before). We go there for church once a month.


2: My adorable alien of a nephew :)




3: The Ueno couple made this for Elder Nishizawa for his last pday!


4: Elder Nishizawa on his last night of his mission. Shining our shoes! #respect!


5: Watching elder Nishizawa off on the bus!


6: Me after successfully disassembling elder nishizawas bike and putting it in the bag! Not sure why I didn't change clothes!



7: Udon with the crew!





Elder Kevin Cash Colton
Japan Fukuoka Mission

ケビン C. コルトン 長老
日本福岡伝道部


Elder Kevin Cash Colton
Japan Fukuoka Mission

ケビン C. コルトン 長老
日本福岡伝道部

No comments:

Post a Comment